Christmas Floral Decoration for Table or Mantle
You Will Need:Rectangular, shallow, water-proof container (approx. 4x10x3 inches deep)
1 brick wet floral foam (3” x 4” x 9”)
1 3-inch pillar candle (white, silver or gold)
3 fresh cedar boughs, each about 12 inches long
5 to 7 evergreen cuttings (holly, pine, yew, etc.), each about 4-6 inches long
16 mini red carnations
12 white button chrysanthemums
5 red roses
1 bunch (6 to 8) small silver or gold ornaments on wire stems
- This holiday arrangement sits low on the table so choose a shallow-sided container not more than 3 inches high. Or purchase a plastic container specifically made to hold floral foam from your local garden center or craft store. Because this arrangement is long, low and narrow, it also makes a stunning mantle decoration.
- Cut floral foam to fit container using utility knife. Foam should be 1 inch higher than container sides. Cut corners of foam block off at an angle.
- Secure foam to container with floral tape. This step can be omitted if using a floral foam container with teeth along the bottom that grip the foam block.
- With the tip of the utility knife, cut 6 small slits in top of block, twisting knife slightly. This will allow water to soak into the interior of the block.
- Slowly water foam block and allow to soak for about 15 minutes until foam is thoroughly wet.
- Choose candle color to complement your holiday décor. Push candle about 1 inch into center of foam block.
- Cut cedar boughs and evergreens from garden or purchase at garden center.
- Cut 2 cedar boughs to 10 inches. Carefully trim greenery from bottom 2 inches of stem to provide a clean end to insert into foam. Reserve unused clippings. Insert one cedar bough into each narrow end of the foam block.
- From third cedar bough, cut 4 6-inch lengths, trimming greens from bottom 1 inch of each stem. Insert one stem into each corner of foam block.
- Using remaining cedar, trim off shorter pieces of cedar between 3 to 5 inches in length, trimming greenery from bottom 1 inch of stem, and use to fill in side edges and top of foam block.
- Add 5 to7 evergreen sprigs for contrast, each about 4- to 6-inches long, trimming ends before inserting into foam in random places. Choose cuttings with narrow stems from a variety of evergreens, such as juniper, white pine, balsam, Fraser fir, holly or yew.
- Strip leaves from carnations, chrysanthemums and roses.
- Cutting stems to fit, insert roses into foam, forming an irregular circle with flowers 1 to 2 inches from candle base.
- Cutting to fit, insert 3 long red carnation stems into each end of the arrangement, at the center and each corner. Insert 3 carnations in each side of arrangement at varying angles. Insert remaining stems, cut short, into top of arrangement.
- Cutting to fit, insert white button chrysanthemums into arrangement, spacing between red carnations.
- Add glass ornament balls at random, poking wire stems into foam.
- Water daily with a narrow-spouted watering can or funnel, lifting the leaves at one corner and inserting spout under leaves. Use finger to check water level. If greenery is kept wet, centerpiece can last 4 weeks. Replace flowers as they fade.
- To protect furniture, you may want to place the arrangement on a decorative platter or tray.